Thursday 15 September 2016

COP 3 - Starting to use my brain again after most of summer

I will come clean straight away and admit I have not done as much work as I should have done up until now. I was busy having too much fun and forgot what the date was. 

I have begun to get my head back into COP by re-reading my proposal - it was written 5 months ago now, and to be honest I can barely remember what I had written. I know I need to seriously start whittling the idea of art therapies and dementia down; pick sub themes and explore them more deeply, rather than looking at the subject as a whole. It is too broad even for 9000 words. 


I potentially like the idea of looking into NHS vs Private treatments for dementia and the availability or choice of creative therapies within these treatments; I don't know what sort of question I would be developing yet. Within this I could look at the use of art and design within healthcare environments such as dementia wards and homes, various creative treatments and have a vast number of studies to research into and reference. I could touch on subjects such as colour and design psychology, what different therapies are available in private hospitals and homes compared to the NHS, and does/could this have any sort of lasting effect on the patients. 

I am interested to find out that if on the NHS, as they have less time and money, they push creative therapies less as some people would deem them less effective than certain medications; for example in calming dementia induced anxiety, as it is easier to shove someone a pill rather than sit down and spend quality time with them. I want to see if the extra money private institutions have to spend on the hospital/care home environment and extra staff make a difference; for example do NHS homes have events staff that can do creative workshops with residents? 

I know these ideas are still to waffly and I still need to condense it all down, but I feel better about it than I did before; at least now there is some sort of direction within all the mess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment