Monday 19 September 2016

Thoughts

I have been reading past dissertations and books from the library (will blog the relevant findings next) but I am starting to have some thoughts towards a more refined direction. I 
want to summarise them and write them down before I forget them.

In short...

The types of art therapy that could be potentially used to "treat" dementia would be 'art as a life enhancement' rather than 'art as rehabilitation'. This is because there is currently no cure for dementia and it would not help in stopping the degeneration of the brain caused by the disease, or improve it. However, life enhancement is something I feel very strongly about and that the quality of life for dementia sufferers should be as positive as possible. 

To focus more on art therapy as life enhancement would be a much better direction than art therapy as a whole, as it is more relevant to dementia. I could also focus on factors like the impact of institutional design/exposure to art on the NHS compared to private hospitals and care homes, as this is something that would surely affect quality of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment