Wednesday 30 November 2016

Character Development

This is a summary of my sketchbook development for the three elderly characters. 

I have worked out that if I stopped focusing on the fact they are old, I won't draw them so they look old. Sounds stupid, but it's what has really worked in helping me depict them in a positive and unpatronising way. I just drew what I thought a gardener looks like, then went back and added elderly characteristics, such as laughter lines and a beard. They do need some elderly features to be able to communicate the right message!

I am really happy with the final pencil drawings, ready to be taken into Photoshop to add colour and then turn into screenprint positives. Drawing the final versions large scale will help make sure nothing is blurry when they are sized up to A2 - they are pretty much A3 already so will be perfect for the screenprints. 

Working with shape will allow for great screenprinting as well. I really feel like I am starting to crack drawing using shape; I can see my drawings transforming and developing at a rate they never have before! It's satisfying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment